Al-Anon IS ~ 12 Steps | 12 Traditions ~
- A fellowship of relatives and friend of alcoholics who believe their lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking.
- A mutual support recovery program based on the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- A nonprofessional fellowship where members share their experience, strength, and hope to solve their common problems.
- A program with the anonymity of all Al-Anon, Alateen, and AA members protected.
- A spiritual program that is compatible with all religious beliefs or none.
- A program with the single purpose of helping families and friends of alcoholics, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.
Al-Anon IS NOT
- Allied with any sect, denomination, political entity, organization, or institution.
- Involved in any outside issues–neither endorses nor opposes any cause.
- Affiliated with AA, although both fellowships cooperate with one another.
- Considered a religious organization, treatment center, provider, counseling agency, or teaching program.
- Conducted by professionals.
- Intended as a replacement for professional treatment or counseling.
Reprinted with Permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc, Virginia Beach, VA